HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dream hunt-would you shoot?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 12:45 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Hunting moose is a far cry from hunting whitetail deer, white tails are everywhere, moose are relegated to certain states and Canada in north America. You didn't say where this guy was hunting but I suspect it was a long drive or a long flight to where he took the plane into the back country and camp. The tag and outfitter i'm sure cost him a pretty penny, plus the tips for the help that retrieved and took care of his moose. Sometimes hunting can be hard and long to achieve your goal and sometimes, rarely, when the hunting Gods smile on us it can happen very quickly and I would rather have that than not to have an opportunity at all. Of course that is a personal choice, additionally he had the experience of working on his moose in the field and two days for him to get his prize back to camp which meant he spent at least 4 days in camp which was part of the experience. I don't know why he would be disappointed for being a successful hunter. As for me, since moose aren't running around in herds like in PA where we usually have more than one opportunity to harvest one, and the guide told me there was a good bull just outside of camp I would have tried to take it and had I been successful the last thing I would have been was disappointed, I would have been elated. I would have a lot of good eating and a prize to put on my wall and been happy that things worked out well, we all most likely have had hunts where they didn't. In addition, at my age, I will not complain if a hunt does not turn out to be a marathon. Last November when I got drawn for a PA elk cow tag after 17 years of applying for a tag, I hired and outfitter, my guide worked very hard for two days in the rain and wind and we put on a lot of miles trying to get an elk. On the third morning the weather was nice and at 7:26 am I have a very nice cow on the ground, that is hunting. I would not have been any less happy if I took my elk on the first day and like the guy you were talking to, I dreamed about getting drawn for a PA elk tag for a lot of years. I think it is a shame, the guy has less than good feelings about being successful on a hunt that most hunters will never get the opportunity to take simply because it was not a marathon hunt.