HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to attract deer from neighbour’s acreage
Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I'd think of what Deer need to thrive, food, shelter, water, minerals. Minerals may be a good bet, Deer will travel long distances for the right minerals. Water is also a good one, depending on local availability.

One of my better success stories is planting American Plum on the sunny edges of the woods. Once it gets going it takes off, replants itself from the roots. More a bush than a tree and eventually turns into good cover as well as a food source. The starts (small plants) are fairly inexpensive.

Jerusalem Artichoke (Tumbulator) was also a success for me once established it spreads out over the years and the Deer use it for cover as well as forage. It grows over six feet tall. Vetch is another plant Deer like to browse and easy to grow once established, it can be hard to get started. The Jerusalem Artichoke seeds are cheap, the best results are from planting the root bulb,/tuber which I was shocked to find pretty darned expensive $7-$10 a pound. If I didn't have a bad back I could make some decent money digging up and selling the tubers from my plot. Easy to grow, drought-tolerant, Blue Corn fertilizer lightly spread every other year.

Putting out some mineral plots will likely draw some Deer onto your property, IMO it is better to put them in low moist/wet areas. But a stock tank with water also works. Certain minerals are necessary for Deer, part of the reason their noses are so good, they can detect these necessary minerals at a great distance.

People often overlook cover when trying to lure Deer in. They prefer bushes they can bed in and under. Tall weeds also work. Typically a Deer will have a few places it likes to bed down in. Someplace hard to sneak up on, shade, windbreak, and a back escape route. They will wander and forage then return to the same bed in daylight.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-19-2019 at 10:32 PM.