HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Micro Kill Plot For Beginners
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I make small plots, I usually clear with a weed whacker, rake and small chain saw. Pile up the burnable brush and light it, wood ash is good for raising PH- The green stuff goes into a pile for next year's compost. I usually plant something that grows tall enough to choke out the weeds, like Corn or Rape. If it is possible you can also use a weed burner, works really well for killing off the native weed seeds.
I've never used chemicals other than fertilizer, usually Blue Corn..

Some of my best plots are Corn, Deer browse it all year round. They browse it through all growth phases and the Ears left to dry on the stalk eventually fall to the ground and draw deer in winter. I usually plant near good cover, if Deer have a choice they often feed near the edge of good cover.

Side note a compost pile large enough to cook a little is a nice place to bury meat scraps, Chicken bones etc. I may be Deer hunting but taking a Fox pelt near the end of the Deer hunt is a nice plus. That warm compost pile will send up a scent cone in cold weather that seems to draw many scavengers and predators.