HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for advice for a new cold weather Parka
Old 11-30-2019, 06:38 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Consider a heated vest such as Milwaukee Tool Heated gear or Banded Heated vest.
Battery powered. Really takes t he chill off and can double as a power station for handheld electronics.
A heated vest works under any coat you so choose.
JW
the problem I have with powered vest and gear is this, batterys get costly, heavy /annoying to carry, and well, when the battery;'s are dead, wires get STIFF in extreme cold weather, making jackets and such less fun to be wearing
when they work there are nice, but, IMO<
there more a novelty item than tool for the great outdoors where amounts of time can be iffy that your going to be out there!

and to be honest if I was to use one, I would prefer a heated vest, that stays closer to your body
as if your wearing good base layers , just like a cooler, GOOD base layers tend to insulate, and that can mean keep heat from getting in or OUT like a cooler does!
so having the heated item closer to you will do you more good than a jacket over good base layers will, farther from you!
and NOT bashing heated things here, just saying!
I tired a bunch over the yrs, and this is my experiences with them

and again, I snowmobile a LOT, being in minus 10-30 temps going 75+mph and out in these temps hours at a time, both day and night
and while when snowmobiling I don;t need or care about things being quiet, I do take note as to what is or isn't

I also wear wind proof balaclava that is worn under a helmet, they work great and are thin and warm, , some have things called breath boxes, to help keep your breath from fogging up[ a helmet shield, but can also work to NOT fog up a scope, pending type

Many yrs back there was a company that sold exact same things designed 100% to be worn while hunting and would NOT allow air to get into your scope or binoculars
I forget the name ( do have two of em LOL)
and they did work great, but were not the most comfortable to wear all day long!
as this is a real problem in very cold weather, heck, just the temp from your EYE"S when looking thru things in extreme cold can make glass fog up(the mask doens't help there, but does re direct your breath to not fog it)

these are some what similar to what I have , but not exact same model, mine is just a mask, that fits over things, these seem to have a mask that attaches to a balaclava
but here is a link to them

https://coldavenger.com/collections/military