HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Neck pain from rifle scope position
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I have never condoned the use of a recoil pad, or otherwise a stock spacer, to correct eye relief of an optic.

The Length of Pull (LOP) of a stock is a critical dimension to fit the rifle to the shorter for ergonomics, control, and recoil management. Adding an unnecessary stock spacer or recoil pad acting as a spacer increases the LOP - this might compromise the shooter’s cheek weld and wrist position, and increase felt recoil and decrease control over the rifle by causing a poor fit. Rifles, rails, rings, and optics are designed to allow for the optic to be positioned appropriately in front of the shooter’s eye when the stock is properly fit to the shoulder and the cheek weld properly made on the stock. If you’re straining to get your head back far enough, I’d guess you’re at least an inch too close in your natural position, likely 2” behind where your cheek weld SHOULD be when cheeking the rifle. Adding that much pad instead of correcting with rings would put a standard 10/22 at 15.5” LOP, which, for a point in space, would be 2 1/4” too long for me, a shooter with a 6’1” wingspan.

It’s a bandaid fix at best. Arm wrestling with yourself about spending $30 for a slip on recoil pad which doesn’t fix the actual problem instead of spending the same $30 for offset rings which DO fix the actual problem doesn’t make sense to me.