HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Waterproofing & Scent control?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 05:24 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I agree, your way better off buying some real rain gear, BUT keep in mind if tempos will be close to freezing, , a lot of rain gear gets REAL loud and stiff
some yrs back they sold some umbrellia's for hunting that mounted over the top of your tree stand and such, to shed most of the falling rain.
I have owned a LOT of high end hunting clothing, and ALL if it, gortex/dry plus, you name it, after a LOT of rain use, will bleed thru in time,
IF I really want to hunt in heavy rains or long hours on a stand in the open in the rain, I wear in my neoprene chest waders
and some GOOD light rain gear and wear a normal fleece jacket over the top of it!
But to be honest anymore I just don't hunt in the rain anymore, don't enjoy it, unless its light and off and on like
All day rain and such, I stay home, got soft maybe as I got older, or, got smarter??
NOW< SNOW<
I love hunting in snow, and again, I have now more or less gotten away from all the gore text and like gear when its snowing, and VERY COLD OUT!
I wear good higher end , wool or fleece gear, never had a issue with snow getting me wet, unless again, its very WET rain like snow!

then again I wear my rain gear above(neoprene waders and rain jacket under a outer layer that is quiet!
Neoprene does get stiff or LOUD like most other rain gear, when it gets cold

now as for coatings?

some of my wool and fleece is treated with a SO called water repellent coating (DuPont coating from NEW OEM clothing maker added it)and water does bead up and runs off it really well, and takes a LONG time to soak thru in normal snow and even light rain, but I would call it water proof at all!