HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow hunting whitetail is hard!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 02:37 PM
blsjds
Spike

Default Bow hunting whitetail is hard!

Lol - I know - if it were easy, they'd call it bow killing.

This is my first year bow hunting whitetail (I've been rifle hunting for the last 10 years) - figured it was time to learn something new.

Went out to the tree stand this morning and got surprised by not one, not two, but THREE bucks (at different times within the span of 2.5 hours). 1 spike and two very nice 4 pointers.

The first one (spike) marched up from behind me, sounding like 250 lb person on the icy leaves ha ha. I was seated and froze when I heard the steps. Before I knew it, he was 15 yards to my left, would've been a perfect shot, but I didn't think I could stand and draw without being busted, so I just let him walk by. He never knew I was there.

Second buck (4 pointer) appeared out of nowhere to my right, about 25-30 yards away. Same deal - didn't think I could move without being detected. He was on the move (slowly, but deliberately) and never really stopped.

Third buck came from where the first one did, but once appearing on my left, he started to move further away to the left. Once again, I was seated and felt he'd bust me if I stood, removed my bow from the hanger, got in position to shoot, etc.

I don't rifle hunt from this stand, so I'm just learning their patterns in this section of woods, but damn I feel like a noob ha ha. Good news is I'm seeing deer and they aren't seeing me.

So for the experienced bow hunters - do you guys generally stand most of the time you're out there? Any tips on how I can better be prepared to take a shot?