HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gotta love the .308 cartridge!!
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Cub Slayer
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Your old Savage is still a decent shooter. But today's are a bunch more accurate then that. And as for the .308 we all have our opinions and I particularly don't care for it. I've used it for several years on deer and it didn't really impress me. I have much better success with the off shoots of the parent .308 case. The .243 and 7mm-08 are IMO dispatch deer quicker than the .308. Now if all I had was a .308 and it shot as well as yours I wouldn't hesitate to use it for deer and black bear size critters. Heck even elk in a pinch.
Why do you suppose that is? I'm sure the .243 and 7mm-08 are good for deer, but I don't understand why they'd be better than the .308. I went .308 originally because I'm primarily a bear hunter. The sales people kept pushing other calibers, like .270 on me. They would say "This is an awesome deer rifle that can also take bears", so I would have to correct them and say "I want a bear rifle that can also take deer". The wider bore appealed to me, part of why I now use my .338 mostly for bear.