HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season
Old 10-19-2019, 09:36 AM
pinehilloak
Spike

Originally Posted by fiddypal
Hi guys, newbie here i finally got my hunting license (after an ungodly amount of hours of "hunter education" which was a joke).

Looking for any and all advice so i can have a successful season this year.

I will be hunting out of a stand which is a pretty good size, its maybe 10' up in the air and has a chair for 1 person but you could easily fit 2 people up there and gear. The previous owners had set this stand up so i know its in a good location already.

I have a game camera out right now so i can try and get down the deer timings of when they like to roll through.

I guess my main questions for this thread is what do you guys pack for a day out in the field? Food/Drink are my biggest question marks as i know smell is what will likely give me away to the deer, so what are some good options?

I don't have to trek far from my truck to get to my hunting spot (maybe 300 yards) so weight is not a big issue for me.

My pack list so far:
- Hunting license printed on waterproof paper
- Pen/Pencil and extra sheet of waterproof paper
- Esee 4 Fixed blade knife
- Smaller Morakniv
- Various lengths of paracord
- Rain gear
- Compound Bow & Arrows (how many arrows do i realistically need to bring?)
- gallon of water (for washing when cleaning a deer)
- Headlamp/Flashlights
- Small med kit

I guess my ansewer would be, it depends. On alot of thinga... like how long you stay out, how close to the house you are...

My opening day list for me, 20 yd from my truck...
my gun a few bullets
carried in a backpack to my blind
Couple of sandwhiches and jerky
Big bottle of water, couple of drinks
Empty bottle to piss in
Cover scents
Everything else stays in the truck
ie flashlight rope tape etc..
good luck