HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Guessestimate Size
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 09:22 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well bears are just so tricky to judge based on pictures, they come in so many sizes and shapes, some are longer, taller, wider and so on, frames matter in size and well, pictures make that super hard to judge
IMO I say this bear is in the 300-325 lb range, its a WIDER bear than it seems to be longer or taller, making it more stubby like and as such they look fatter than they are , but has a tapered body still(400+ bears seem to have more straight body lines )
its head is nice but NOT old to me or very large

I have a young male that is on my desk all the time, a lot like this one, very WIDE body at front shoulders, and yet he is only about 225 lbs, and a under 3 yrs old
most would say he is HUGE when he stands facing you or slightly towards you, like in your one pic
but just not there yet!

very nice bear none the less, but don't think he is 400 lbs range, a few more weeks, NEVER know, this time of yr they add weight amazingly FAST
one female here last yr put on about a 130 lbs, in 4 weeks, just amazing what they can do, she looked like she was going to bust open she was so fat!(had two cubs too) and came out of winter this spring still looking FAT,
By June she was down to about a 120 lbs, from here near 400 at winter time, and right now pushing about 230 or so,
they change size in dramatic ways

hey best of luck your hunting season is soon, or NOW I gather!