HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winchester Supreme Ammo?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 02:41 AM
Trav1100LT
Spike

Default Supreme Winchester Shells / XX

Long ago when Metallica was popular lol the 90's and late 80's I was a young buck around 10-12 years old and got my first 20 gauge 1100LT-20 shotgun and a Mec-600 Jr for Christmas and that started my shotgun shooting life.

Well Turkey in KY were just getting off to a good start by 96' or so and prior to they only could be found at Black Mt. or LBL ( Spooky ole Land Between the Lakes with it's Beast Story and full of Turkey ) The only gunshop in my town did have AA20F1 wads and 571 powder so I got off to a good start loading my own magnum buffered with GREX buffer 20 gauge shells and 1 oz loads also. The great part was that gun shop also managed to have 2 boxes of the then called Winchester Super-XX Magnum 20 gauge 2 3/4" inch 1 1/8 oz 1150 FPS loads in #4 shot..................these were also buffered copper plated shot and simply called magnums back then and came in a white box with Gold letters but that soon changed to Supreme black box with gold letters XX on it but they only sold it after 96' in shot size #6 and #7.5 and they finally killed off the #7.5 and sold the #6 under the AAHS hull design in Supreme listing up till 2008 or so. That particular 20 gauge 2 3/4" inch Magnum shell used to come packed in the old white box with Gold XX on it and it came in #2 #4 #5 #6 and #7.5 shot sizes and was a Duck/Goose load or Turkey load of the best quality. My little 1100LT-20 with Hastings Xfull choke loved that load of #4's but disliked the #6's or #7.5's as it patterned tighter with the #4's then any other size...........basically they all patterned the same amount of pellets into a Turkey's head at 35 yards so i chose #4 shot.
Along with Winchester switching from the AACF to the AAHS hull design they killed off a lot of loads along the way up to 2014 time period or so. They used to have a Supreme line of Buckshot and still do but they killed off most of the loads including the 25 count boxes of XX Supreme Magnums and Supreme HV field loads that had copper shot but no buffer in them and used shot cups. Supreme HV was the same as the Pheasant loads or Super Pheasant ......no buffer just copper shot in a cushioned shot cup unlike the magnums or XX magnums that used a 2 piece shot cup with buffered shot copper plated of course. They also had a #1 Buckshot that was 20 pellets and 2 3/4" inches but they killed it off due to slow velocity 1050 FPS claimed from 32" inch barrel.........................they also used to have a Super-X 12 pellet #0 Buckshot Lead Shot only no copper plate, they killed it off and the #000 8 pellet Lead Super-X load. Hell they even used to sell all the XX Magnum loads in 25 count boxes from the 2 3/4" inch 1 1/2 oz and 1 5/8 oz Magnum to the 3" inch 2 oz super heavy magnum load and even 3.5" inch 2 1/4 oz loads could be had in 25 count boxes labelled Supreme XX Magnum. The best load offered from them in Magnum form was the XX Magnum 3" inch 1 5/8 oz 1275 FPS #4 #5 #6 #7.5 shot size magnum load that also came in 25 count Supreme Box. This load was different then the Super Pheasant 1 5/8 oz load as mentioned above it came with buffer and 2 piece shot cup rather then a single cushioned power piston type shot cup. When they killed all these loads it came slowly over time so no one noticed them all gone at one time and replaced by goofy Square Hex Blind Side Steel Shot junk........................then they renamed the Supreme Steel loads Dry-Lock Steel HV. Blind Side Sucks by the way........horrid load but the wad tech is sound and a good wad copied from Federal's wad and Browning now has the right to sell the flight control wads in their BDX line which uses Winchester AAHS hulls...........................all Freedom Arms group now so it's almost all the same except Federal holds it's lines separated out from Winchester's stuff.