HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions about resident hunting in NV
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 12:50 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted a lot of Jacks, seriously some of my most fun hunting. In the later morning they tend to react two ways, they take off too far away for a shot and disappear over a hill. The ones that bunker down and hide are the fun ones. I kick the brush piles and if there is one in there they explode out of there moving fast, then start zig-zagging. A side note, the same skill sets and quick shooting that make Jacks so much fun work well on Charlie and rag heads. The best place to hunt them is in the desert next to some low greenery. Young Alfalfa fields are a good place. Right next to the irrigated field and the unirrigated desert. I've also had good luck near golf courses
Dogs aren't going to do you much good unless they are trained to flush close. If they move too far off they just spook the Jacks before you get into shotgun range. I usually hunt them with multiple hunters and we walk in line abreast.

Most Desert Deer hunting is all about the water. I use good maps that note every spring and seep, USGA maps are good. Deer don't usually sleep near water, water is the most dangerous place. But at sunset water is often the first place they head.