HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:23 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tris10
I need outside opinions on a personal battle. I’ve been using a remington model 7400 in 270 and mosin nagant for all hunting purposes but recently decided to purchase another rifle, i’ve decided to go cheap. i’m looking at a savage arms axis hb in 6.5 creedmoor and just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with this rifle, or this cartridge. any help would be appreciated
I've shot a 270W for years and wondered the same thing about a 6.5mm Creedmoor. I was also curious about how it would compare to the 270 which I am quite happy with. I found an article by Ron Spomer (see link below) that did a comparison test between the 2. Each has little advantages out to 800 yards where the 6.5 then takes over. Up to 800 yards, the 270 is a little flatter and the 6.5 has a little less wind deflection and recoil. If your typical hunting is less than 800 yards, there's not much need for a 6.5. If you're a long distance hunter at longer than 800 yards, then the 6.5 would be a better bet.

That covered if you "need" a 6.5 Creed. Now as to whether you just want one, that's a question only your and your checkbook can answer. Enjoy the new rifle.

p.s. thanks RayS for the extra info on the 270. Always nice to hear other people still use them.

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6...70-winchester/