HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?
Old 09-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=mrbb;4361341]
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
it seems to me that the 6.5 Creed fits that perfectly. With the added bonus of lots of cheap, quality, over the counter rifle and ammo options.

You must be A fan lol.

-Jake[/QUOte
there are countless calibers that fit great for deer, and have cheaper ammo and can be had every where like lets say a .308

yep...

from military rounds to civilian, almost every store that sells ammo has it
or what about a 30/06, 30/30, .270

Yep... I own and shoot and have taken game with all those... Love them!
point being if a guy already has a rifle for deer, there is NO real great reason to BUY a 6.5 creedmore,
That's a FACT! But definitely a boring approach to gun ownership. But many of us have multiple rifles, i have no less that 15 rifles suitable for deer hunting, and that's not counting muzzleloaders, revolvers, or slug guns...
that same argument can be applied to every option out there pretty much. "I have an 06, there's no need for x,y or z" but it doesn't take away from the qualities of x,y and z..

just due to media and marketing hype

How about due to it being a good option?? Maybe the "media and marketing hype" isn't a factor... Maybe performance is?

its not going to do anything really any differently than a good deer caliber rifle i other calibers!
That's a FACT. Again, not sure if it's relevant though.

the average Deer hunter doesn't really shoot there deer rifle a LOT
some do, but most don't!
re inventing the wheel that is already round, like going to a 18-19-2 inch wheel over a 16 inch one on a truck
YUP some pro's for sure,
but how many need them!

I'm glad the powers that be didn't take this approach... I like shooting and hunting with .17s, .22s, .24s, .25s, .26s, .27s, .28s, .30s, .33s, .35s, .375s, .40s, .44s, .45s, .46s, .48s .50s, and .54s.
Would possibly lose interest if variety wasn't a part of it.

as again MOST pick up trucks haul more groceries than they do, heavy loads or trailers!

I'm not sure comparing the 6.5 Creed to a heavy pickup is a good comparison....
marketing hype IMO
I'm not so sure. Is it "hype" if it's factual?
more than any real major improvements!
In an already packed field... The only improvements are small improvements. That doesn't mean we should stop improving.
been a 1,000 yard match shooter since the late 80's , owned a gun shop and sold thousands of rifles!
so I have some experience in things, more than MOST , not bragging, just saying where I come from!
is a 6.5 creedmore a BAD caliber, NO
but its nothing life changing either!
The question was "is it all it's cracked up to be?" And I *think*, just an opinion here, that the answer is yes. I've not seen any of this hype or advertising making any false claims. They made a good product. They advertise it as a good product.

Had the .308 come out in the mid 2000s at the rise of social media and internet forums and endless information it would have been hyped as well. BECAUSE it's a good product.

Hype doesn't last long when things don't work and the Creed has been around long enough to know that it does work.

And for the record, I'll likely never own a Creed. Or a .308 for that matter. The 7mm-08, .300 Savage and .25-06 fill those roles for me and I never see myself needing, or wanting a Creed.

But I don't think it's fair to discredit it because some body in a marketing department is REALLY good at their job.

​​​​​​
-Jake