HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Packing for pronghorns
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 04:41 PM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

It's way too easy to overpack with goats. Rifle, Ammo, Binoculars (we don't like you checking to see who we are with your riflescope), Water, Boots, fall outdoor clothing, sunscreen, sunglasses, heavy-bladed knife, hat, fanny-pack or daypack. If you're walking, you're going to get hot (not just warm). Also handy is a rollup sled drag - it'll help keep your goat from hanging up in the sage or picking up cactus quills. 5 gallon water can in your vehicle to wash the goat out and wash yourself off after. Have some cool drinking water ready at the truck as well - you're going to be powerful thirsty after dragging a goat across the high desert/prairie for two miles.

It still gets warm during the day, so it's vital you get the carcass cooled down as quickly as possible. I've used bags of ice from a cooler (messy), nothing (which requires a fast trip to the processor). I'm mixed on taking the hide off when I'm out in bright sunlight. Most critical - have a plan in the event you connect. Some processors only take so many animals a day, be ready with a backup plan. Know when they open and close. If you have a cool place to hang it yourself, that's good too - I've found that's the best time to take the hide off.