HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Packing for pronghorns
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 04:23 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

Default Packing for pronghorns

It is that time of year. Making piles of various things to consider taking on a pronghorn hunt, and then after careful consideration leaving half of them at home. I used to over pack but over the years I started making lists of the things that I actually used and started traveling much more lightly. I have traveled with a new pronghorn hunter on each of the past two seasons and they packed like it was a trip to the North Pole, or a late season Colorado elk hunt. These fellows had been elk hunting before and just could not help themselves when it came time to pack - just like I used to be.

Other than travel clothes I take a couple pairs of light canvas pants (no camo), couple long sleeve shirts (no camo), orange hat, and an older pair of ankle high boots that I do not mind getting in the cactus thorns. Rifle, ammo, bipod, rangefinder, binoculars, hunting knife, water bottle, tiny daypack, leather gloves, and sometimes a spotting scope (absolutely not required). A light jacket can come in handy. Maps and a GPS unit are precious to me so I can't leave home without them. Sometimes I remember to take knee pads but I never seem to have them when I want them.

Sunglasses, sun screen, tweezers and band-aids (remember the cactus), and the ever useful TP are must have items for me. Coolers, small tarp, and a bit of laundry soap (for the bloody clothes) are in the car, as are the Marty Robbins and B.B. King CDs.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 09-06-2019 at 05:32 AM.