HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Its tough being a southpaw
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Especially when you like shooting in this right hand world. True there are a lot more choices today then way back when I started. Then the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby! I have a hankering to get into long range shooting but not the funds for a custom long range rifle. I had my heart set on a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor in left hand. Two local shops said they couldn't find one anywhere. I sent an email to Beretta and found out that that rifle is not available in the US! Same as years ago when I wanted a Tikka T3 in .338 Federal! So doing some searching and checking reviews I just placed an order for a Begara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM and left hand.
I'll likely be installing a Zeiss 4-14x scope on it because that's what I have laying around still NIB. Another thing I've been reading is to get the most out of a rifle of this "caliber" you should use match grade dies. So that will be next on the agenda.

When I was teaching handgun and police shotgun shooting I always called the southpaws "wrong handed shooters, Teaching right handed shooters just comes naturally, teach them to do what you do. with left handers you haave to think about what you say and you have to teach the same thing such as reloading a revolver twice, once for right and again for left handers. for example, to combat reload a revolver you push the cylinder release with your thumb, thenturn the gun barrel side up while you push the cylinder out with your thumb and give a hard downward shake while you are reaching for your speed loader, turn the gun barrel side down and stick the ammo in the proper cylinder holes with the speed loader, drop the speed loader, close the cylinder and come on target. That takes seconds. Now think about how a left hander has to do it. At least with the shotguns you can have the safety reversed. My grandson is a south paw, I had no left handed rifles when I taught him to shoot so I borrowed my dads mod 336 30-30 from my brother after we got done on the right handed bolt ,22 rifles. After I was sure he was going to continue to hunt I bought him a left handed .243 bolt action.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-04-2019 at 08:35 AM.