Old 07-18-2019, 05:54 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Through both paid and volunteer work in college, a short stint with the department of youth services, and volunteer work that I do now with some other police officers around the county, I've come into contact with some really "hard" youth.

They call them youth, but some of them they're grown men. 6'4" 240lbs. Even though they're technically teenagers.

One thing I've learned is that when it comes right down to it, they're still a kid. Some are dangerous yes. But inside most of those big tough exteriors is a scared kid that's looking for direction, structure, and even discipling.

I like to think that the time I've invested has made a difference. We don't always see the difference right away. It might come years down the road, even after we're gone maybe. But I think the time is well invested. And I know you've spent allot of time with these specific populations.

And I know that I've impacted some as when I've had law enforcement interactions down the road they are often ashamed, embarrassed, apologetic. Like they let me down.

Just have to hope and pray that the time spent eventually has an impact.

I get frustrated when I hear the older generations whine and complain about the kids. Like it or not, kids are our future. Instead of complaining go sign up for a big brother program etc and make a difference.

-Jake