HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much lime on 1/16 acre with 5.1 pH?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well a ton of lime is what it takes to MAYBE move the Ph one point IF your lucky
also depends on the quality of the lime, too! if I recall right your at about a 1/4 acre, and if your at a 5.1, and your trying to get to say a 6.5-7(ideal range for clover and most food plot things)
1.9 tons of lime seems a tad over kill, but honestly, its most likely not going to be enough after a yr of it there, some will wash out, and get used up as things there keep soil levels down(rains, run off, leave matter and such and just plain old soil quality period))

and it will take a LONG time to do so,, its why many poor soils in PA< require several tons per acre to adjust things! and its a never ending deal for a few yrs
we have one 4 acre plot at camp, that in the past say 20 yrs I bet we added about 40 ton of lime to it and its still not up to a 6.5 yet!

MY suggestion is, drop a ton of lime, mix in good, plant your brassicia(its been known to grow in lower ph OK)
and then next spring test again and see what it needs as brassicia(rape) is a yearly planting any how, so your going to be planting again next yr!

if you got access to any farmers, that have any left over soybeans, get some and mix it in when planting, go light and your brassicia will grow around it, yet will still draw deer like mad when its got beans(they won't last long) ina such a small plot, but does make it more appealing to deer, and it (soybeans) grows in pretty poor soil too LOL