HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Painting utility trailer
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 03:16 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

For stuff like that I use Hammerit. Two reasons, it lasts and second it needs less prep work than many other paints, just lnock the loose stuff off with a wire wheel and paint over the surface rust. If the metal is galvanized use the nonferrous and galvanized primer first. It is a little hard to work with, not like regular paint. You lay a coat on with a brush and don't try multiple strokes, the less you mess with it after application the better the results. If you need it use another coat. I've had better results with their flat or matt paint, dries faster and lasts as well as the shiny stuff. If you can get it the original formula is better, but the newer water based stuff is still way superior to Rustolium for longevity. I used the flat black (after the special primer) on my rusty chrome tow hooks, it's been on there for fifteen years and still looks good, even with some hard use. I painted my galvanized garden shed 25 years ago, the paint is still there.
Old formula Rustolium can also be good, I use a first coat of Rusty metal primer, then a gloss coat. The down side is it takes days to cure, months to really cure. I have no experience with the newer water-based Rustoleum.

I've never used Por 15, sounds promising, but I usually stick with what I know.

I'm not much on a perfect finish anymore, especially utility stuff, The object is how long it lasts. They have wire wheels for angle grinders, that is just what the doctor ordered for removing old stuff, much quicker than a drill and a wire wheel, a little on the raw side but it makes a good surface for the paint to stick. Eye protection and thick clothing are required, if a wire comes off the wire wheel on an angle grinder it comes off with a lot more velocity and force than a drill.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-03-2019 at 03:19 AM.