HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I ain't much of a turkey hunter
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 05:44 AM
Timbrhuntr
Typical Buck

I called in more hens this year than toms and most off the toms I did get to gobble never came in. Thursday I never heard a gobble but I had two hens come in off the roost and then begin to call if you think that soft hen calling is the trick you would question it now. She stood out at 20 yards and and cut and yelp almost non-stop until a gobble rang out some distance off. She continued to cut and yelp as the gobbling got closer I thought this is gonna be great. She is doing all the calling for me but then when the tom was maybe 80-100 yards out she stopped calling and went in his direction and he shut up. I waited a bit then cut he gobbled at the same distance. After another wait I cut and yelped no answer I figured he was with the hens so I decided to make a move. As I was slipping up I saw the tom walking in the woods with the two hens . I got set up and when he peeked around a tree at 40 yards I shot. He ran off. I thought what but realized I had not seen the 1 inch limb about 2 feet in front of me that took most of the pattern. This year I have not killed one bird by just calling and getting a tom to come in. It has all been by making moves and using woodsmanship . I even just sat over a good dusting area and killed a good tom that came to dust with two hens at 2 pm when you would think he would finally be alone looking. This year I have had to work way harder to fill my tags and ended with 7 out of 8 eating tag soup in Michigan which is really unsual !! So don't feel too bad Bocajnalla I hunted a lot from the start April to the last day of May. In fact yesterday in my honey hole that I usually don't hunt I never even heard a gobble all day !!!