HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How long does it take to potty train a puppy.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

It depends on the dog and the owner. I never had a pup that took 4 months to be house broken which is what you do, we do not have potties for our dogs. It is a process of letting them outside and praising them if they do anything. Leave them out anytime you think they may want to go outside. I have had puppies house trained in as little as three weeks bit it has never taken me 4 months. What you must remember is a pup cannot hold its water of fecal matter nearly as well as an adult dog. So you must leave them out many times a day and praise them when they do something. If you are not going to be at home or have someone else at home to let the pup out you will have a problem. In addition, if no one s at home the pup should be in a cage, pups do not like to foul their space, bit if no one is available to let them outside they will and you will be training them to do their business in the house. Having a dog in the house requires a commitment to the animal not to let is suffer when it needs to go outside because you do not have the time to be there for the pup. Better not to have one.