HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog for multiple purposes?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 07:45 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
It really depends on how much dog you want. I had a DD and he hunted whatever you were going for. Staunch pointer, hell or high water retriever after force fetch training. He would tree squirrels and coons and did the best he could to bring rabbits back around for me. But he had nothing like an off switch and quiet evenings at home required a full day or two of active hunting. This dog was restless in the blind until the birds were coming in. Then he would freeze and hold his breath. He was protective of the house and the forest we were hunting in. Nobody ever snuck up on you that's for sure. He hated bears and coyotes and never passed up a chance to fill his face with porcupine quills. He never stole a game animal from a dog that was retrieving but if he saw someone holding a rabbit he would take it and bring it to me. Funny the first couple times. He would also bring me things he found in the forest. So, shed hunting might be possible too. But I never tried it. That's just one example of a very diverse and capable breed. If you can seriously handle that much dog then they are a good choice.

I've heard good things about Catahoula's but have not liked any of the ones I've seen in person. Another dog you could look at is the Black Mouthed Cur. I'd like to own one someday myself.

Good luck whatever you decide on.
how high energy/strung a dog is, is really a dog to dog thing, NOT a breed in whole deal!
I have seen many that were very clam and mild mannered, and not high strung dogs at all, alot comes down to what mother nature gives them
breeding can help, with right lines, and many times its about WHAT you want in a dog line that you need to research

I have seen countless dogs of ALL breeds that were a hand full, that never seemed to have a OFF switch,
My last lab was awesome, he was about as calm and laid back a dog as there ever was, BOMBS could drop around him and he could lay still and or even sleep thru it
YET out in the hunting field, he had energy for ALL day hunts, never had quit in him at all!
but to sit at home, in , in a vehicle for 36+ hrs non stop, regular distractions in life, he could care less.
SO, I will NEVER label ANY breed as saying they can be a handful or expect ALL the higher energy problems some claim they have
as its NOT always true, it can go either way when buying blindly and or even after researching, some dogs just get genes that they cannot help themselves but to be balls of energy

and the opposite can be said too, GOOD Breeders do the best they can, to PICK traits they want in there lines, but there ain't no guarantee either way!
anyone getting a dog PERIOD< should do there home work and know what they want, what they MIGHT get and be prepared for everything in between! and they for sure should be honest about what they WILL put into the dog, training, time, and effort
and honestly IMO< most folks THINK they will do more and most end up NOT, I sadly seen way too many ill trained dogs, that IMO is ALL the owners fault and NOT the dogs or the breed of the dog!

can also say the same thing about a lot of folks kids LOL
ALL my dogs were better behaving than most folks kids or people I know! HAHA
but I spend thousands of hours training and getting them that way, and never once regretted doing it, they were pleasures to have around till there ends, which always came way too soon!
before buying./getting ANY dog, folks,
Please be really honest with yourself on what you can handle and will be doing with it, and WILL do, not just THINK you will! you owe it to the dog if not yourself!