HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog for multiple purposes?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Mickey Finn
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Vodevil27
Hey everybody,
I am new to hunting, but I already know that I intend to get into multiple types of hunting. I'm also a dog lover, so I want to combine the two.
I know I want to squirrel hunt, rabbit hunt, and shed hunt. I am thinking I might want to branch out into coon or even small game birds at some point.
I'm having trouble picking a dog breed. Logically I know that I will probably have greater success if I pick beagles for rabbits and a feist for squirrels and a coonhound for coon and a spaniel for the game birds, but is there a breed that is versatile enough to do it all? Or at least more than one thing?
I have read that you can't train a single dog for rabbit and squirrel as it confuses them on the hunt, how true is that?

Does anybody have any feedback on how Catahoula Leopard Dogs do at any of these? I am attracted to that breed because they are touted as multifunction, and they have the benefit of also being a willing and capable guard and they are big enough for the other dog activities I'd like to do, notably pulling a dog cart or carrying a dog backpack on hikes.

Thanks for any help
It really depends on how much dog you want. I had a DD and he hunted whatever you were going for. Staunch pointer, hell or high water retriever after force fetch training. He would tree squirrels and coons and did the best he could to bring rabbits back around for me. But he had nothing like an off switch and quiet evenings at home required a full day or two of active hunting. This dog was restless in the blind until the birds were coming in. Then he would freeze and hold his breath. He was protective of the house and the forest we were hunting in. Nobody ever snuck up on you that's for sure. He hated bears and coyotes and never passed up a chance to fill his face with porcupine quills. He never stole a game animal from a dog that was retrieving but if he saw someone holding a rabbit he would take it and bring it to me. Funny the first couple times. He would also bring me things he found in the forest. So, shed hunting might be possible too. But I never tried it. That's just one example of a very diverse and capable breed. If you can seriously handle that much dog then they are a good choice.

I've heard good things about Catahoula's but have not liked any of the ones I've seen in person. Another dog you could look at is the Black Mouthed Cur. I'd like to own one someday myself.

Good luck whatever you decide on.