HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 308 or 7mm rem mag ???????
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 04:49 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

the damage ,to the game on bullet impact can be significantly modified or altered through careful selection of the projectile,
youve selected, and of course if you hand load you can reduce velocity to retard expansion,
higher velocity and thinner bullet jackets tend to result in violent and rapid initial expansion
but simply restricting your shot impact area to certain anatomy can greatly reduce potential loss in meat.
you certainly don,t want a non-expanding bullet that might allow game to run hundreds of yards before bleeding out,
but careful projectile selection and good shot placement can give you far less wasted meat.
break the neck or punch the lungs & liver and you've got a dead deer in short order.

avoid the shoulder and hams and use a slower expanding bullet design and youll significantly reduce potential meat loss.
deer are not difficult to kill, as always its careful shot placement and a knowledge of the games anatomy thats critical to success.
lots of practice shooting from field positions helps a great deal.

Ive used this bullet in my 7mm mag for both deer and elk with good results
h4831 and a 215 fed primer has worked for decades
that 7mm I own is a savage 110, stainless bolt action,with a laminated stock thats exceptionally accurate,
that has been loaned out on over a dozen hunts to guys that all loved it
I picked it up dirt cheap from woolworths decades ago before they stopped selling rifles.
https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...le-bullet/1643

Last edited by hardcastonly; 04-19-2019 at 09:36 AM.