HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?
Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I always get antsy leaving my truck unattended out in the middle of nowhere. I've watched guys walk up to my truck and look in the windows, then look around to see if anybody was watching. Even with the cell phone alarm I have now, you never know if you will make it back in time to do any good. The only time I felt reasonably comfortable was in the cooler months when I'd leave my 100 pound Weimaraner in the truck while I was out hunting, he took car guard duty really serious. I usually keep it down to half a mile, I'm too old to run very far. As many striped and abandoned vehicles I've seen out in the middle of nowhere you have to believe there are opportunistic thieves around.

I was in Sonoma Deer hunting, I pulled into a turnout in the evening, set my alarm and went to sleep in the truck planned on heading out at 3 AM. Woke up in the dark with some dude fiddling with my window. He was really interested in what he was doing, I sat up, picked my shotgun off the floor, cleaned the dew off the inside of the window and tapped on the glass with my shotgun barrel about a foot from his face. The look on his face was priceless.

My Godfather took my younger brother and I Dove hunting when I was around 15 , we overnighted, He and his two sons slept in his VW camper, my brother and I slept out on the ground, O dark thirty and somebody came rummaging through our camp. My Godfather yelled to get the F out of here and started popping off rounds with his 22 magnum revolver. I watched the two would be thieves heading for the hills. The next morning we all had a good laugh checking out the bullet holes in his camper, he'd shot right through the side of it.