HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When hunting deer on public land, how far is the stand from the truck?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:49 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well I'll say this, I have hunted most all the states you listed, and terrain can vary a LOT pending where in the state you are hunting
ohio north is pretty flat, SE is pretty steep and thick as one example!

HOW far a tree stand can be, is really based on where the hunting is worth placing a stand
there are folks that get lucky and kill deer a few feet off the road where they park there car, and then those that will walk in as far away from roads as possible
the logic is typically on public land that hunting farther away from roads gets better, and some times it does
as pressure from a bunch of hunters, being lazy, new , old or?? (no disrespect meant here either)
that hunt a LOT close to roads, this pressure tend to push deer and such farther away from roads, BUT not always
if there is reason for a deer to be close to roads, they they will still go there, BUT if hunting pressure gets high, they tend to then just go there at night!
so, its hard to say
on BIGGER tracts of land that don't get much pressure, and there is a REASON for deer to be close to a road(food mostly) then you can get lucky and place a tree stand just as far off a road that it is legal

but most experienced hunters will tell you, IMO< that hunting close to roads will end up with you being more frustrated as other hunters walk past you, cars and noises keep game away
and that they prefer to walk in farther to get away from as many people as possible

your coming from the GREAT wide open west, where there might be say 200 hunters on 150,000 acres
where in the east coast, you might have a 200 hunters on 1500 acres of land
so as you can see, pressure is a HUGE factor to consider when hunting on the east coast, and public lands in places there are few of them, get SUPER congested with hunters
SOME times this pressure helps move deer about the place and its more LUCK than skill that gets folks deer
and not skills
and MANY rely on this, and again, many hunt next to roads for this reason, they just count on once Opening day starts and shells start flying and hunters start traveling all over thru the woods, deer get PUSH and run wild at times, trying to get from point A to point B and NOT in any natural pattern, there just RUNNING scared more or less
I have hunted some public lands, that I swear there was a hunter every 200 ft in every direction, and seen a deer run and about a 50 rounds went off as folks shot at it running wild(was also last time I hunted there LOL)

so, to be honest there is NO set distance on how far off a road you need to be to hunt, unless state game /hunting rules state so
a deer can be any where
the name of the game for those NOT relying on LUCK, is to learn to read sign, do pre season scouting, find good spots(keep in mind on public land, if you find a GOOD SPOT< odds are HIGH so did 10 other people)
so have many spots picked, so if you get there and someone si already there, you have a plan B-C-D-E in place

I have killed many a deer behind my house that were less than a 150 yards from my back door over food plots I have
and I have killed deer I walked in well over 5 miles to get to, and every where in between

sorry if this doesn't come out as you hoped for, just being honest
the location of a GOOD deer stand, comes down to WHY deer will be there, how easy it is, and how many people know its there

its amazing how, woods empty almost ALL yr, will become so crowded come opening day of rifle/gun season!
here in PA< we used to have over a million hunters hit the woods opening day at once! , the Orange Army was its nickname LOL