HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog for multiple purposes?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 AM
Vodevil27
Spike

Default Dog for multiple purposes?

Hey everybody,
I am new to hunting, but I already know that I intend to get into multiple types of hunting. I'm also a dog lover, so I want to combine the two.
I know I want to squirrel hunt, rabbit hunt, and shed hunt. I am thinking I might want to branch out into coon or even small game birds at some point.
I'm having trouble picking a dog breed. Logically I know that I will probably have greater success if I pick beagles for rabbits and a feist for squirrels and a coonhound for coon and a spaniel for the game birds, but is there a breed that is versatile enough to do it all? Or at least more than one thing?
I have read that you can't train a single dog for rabbit and squirrel as it confuses them on the hunt, how true is that?

Does anybody have any feedback on how Catahoula Leopard Dogs do at any of these? I am attracted to that breed because they are touted as multifunction, and they have the benefit of also being a willing and capable guard and they are big enough for the other dog activities I'd like to do, notably pulling a dog cart or carrying a dog backpack on hikes.

Thanks for any help