HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Patterned the Turkey Slayer
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86
Thanks

I never heard about TSS till this thread. I currently use Federal's 3rd Degree, 12 gauge 3" magnums. I'll have to buy me a couple of TSS boxes. I'am assuming that you still need a hevi-shot type of choke? Do you use reloads, Browning or Federal TSS?
Say if you flushed a turkey...
Do you think #9 TSS will penetrate the main body vitals (heart, liver, lungs) of a turkey in flight at 40 yards?
I use TSS straight 9s loaded by a company called Apex Ammo. The Federal TSS shells are okay but I have never liked the flight control wads they use in practically all their shells these days. They never pattern as well for me as a similar shell without that type of wadding. As I recall I was getting about 260 pellets in 10 inches at 40 yards with the Federal TSS compared to 347 with these Apex shells. But each shotgun is an entity unto itself and your mileage may vary on what yours likes. I have never intentionally body shot a turkey so I have limited experience answering that question. Yes you need to shoot it through a choke rated for denser than lead shot.