HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting: Decades of Experience & Wisdom
Old 03-02-2019, 09:25 AM
elkman30
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing living a good clean life means not having a lot of BO but it was kind of a cryptic statement. I've read a lot of your topics and you have a lot of good information to offer. I think that some of you guys forget what it was like when you first started and had like a million questions. When I take somebody deer or bear hunting, I try to explain everything we're doing and why. I know I'm not doing a good job of explaining it when I see that questioning look on their faces like they're not sure what to do next. It doesn't mean they won't make mistakes, get busted by animals, still don't have a lot to learn but I try to give them a comfort level of what they should be doing and looking for. It shortens the learning curve and they feel like they're making a lot more progress.

It's kind of like when you're teaching somebody how to shoot. Pistol, rifle or shotgun, they always have a ton of questions and don't want to look stupid. I've seen some instructors just give them the basics (very minimal) and then leave them on their own to learn bad habits, get frustrated and not like shooting. And when a shooter can't qualify, the instructor throws up their hands and says they're not doing it right. Often, those same instructors then give up. I've taken a lot of those same shooters and fixed their bad habits, explained why they need to do things a certain way and got them to qualify within an hour or 2 at the most. The shooters already know you know more about shooting than them. That's why they're asking questions. So they can get better and continue to improve.

Again, not trying to be a smart aleck but telling me "Live a good clean life?" doesn't really help. It comes across like I'm some kind of dumbass and not worth answering my questions. That's okay if you feel that way I guess but I'd rather you just didn't post an answer if you don't want to help.

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Live a good clean life?

Post 10.......Wander the other side of that ridge.
So people should hunt uphill to a ridge and then "wander" on the other side of the ridge or do some glassing first? Again, no trying to be a jerk, trying to learn more. Should I expect elk on another side of a ridge to be up higher on the ridge (means I need to be very careful crossing the ridge top) or are they further down the hill?

Post 15.......Wander through clear cuts.
I've used this before. Have noticed tracks, new shrubs and browse and lots of good information.

Post 17.......Study topo maps.
That's a personal weakness. I suspect a lot of people don't have this skill mastered either. What should I be looking for when I study a topo?

Post 17.......Wander benches, and any other likely looking structure.
So the elk like being higher up on a hill on benches? Good to know. They can easily run downhill to get away from danger popping over a ridge. Do they tend to post sentries at the top of the ridges behind them?

Post 20.......Wander quietly.
Point taken.

Post 20.......Wander where haven't.
Where who "haven't?"