HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting: Decades of Experience & Wisdom
Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM
dig4gold
Banned

Elk hunting . . . my passion for 34+ years. Every year I think I know enough to succeed . . . only to be reminded that they have the upper hand.
My favorite hunting is archery, best weather, Aspen are turning, elk are rutting, absolutely the best time to be in the woods. Here that means September. Yep . . the WHOLE MONTH!
But my tactics/strategy stays close to the same for rifle.
1st: always keep your nose into the wind. They will be more alarmed by your scent than hearing you or even seeing you. Just don't be doing jumping jacks! There's no such thing as "scent free" clothing, sprays, or detergent. Example: my buddy bought some expensive scent free camo a few years ago and the first morning out we were driving to our honey hole and he farted . . . the whole truck could smell him!
2nd; I have the luxury of putting out game cameras all summer. Doesn't mean they'll be there when you're armed, but it is encouraging to know they've been there. So scouting helps, but is no guarantee. If you're out of state, research best you can. I would not hesitate calling a Game Warden assigned to the area you are coming to. They can be very helpful most of the time. Don't expect too much, they are hunters too and sometimes get skunked.
3rd; Stay out all day. Carry a light load with plenty of water, some food, toilet paper, knives and such. The middle of the day means more walking, 's l o w' walking, the elk are there all day, you should be too.
4th; if you suck at using calls . . . leave them at home!! You can find them with out the use of a call. They talk to each other every day all year long, they know when an intruder is there. I use them (90% cow calls) just to locate and identify, then walk in on them. You will run them out of an area faster than dropping a bomb on them with bad or excessive calling.
5th; Wear good, warm, lightweight, waterproof boots because you'll be walking some.
6th; Last but not least . . . shoot them by a road!! The real work starts after you have harvested an elk. (lol)

Last edited by dig4gold; 02-28-2019 at 11:03 AM.