HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado elk
Thread: Colorado elk
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 07:32 AM
colowoods
Spike

The OP hit the nail squarely on the head as far as reduced elk numbers. We in the SW part of the state see a definite decline in elk numbers. At the same time we see tremendous archery hunting pressure. One of the local game wardens told me 4 years ago the in the 5 year period prior to then, that the number of archery tags went from 500 to 3000 in out area. The OTC rifle tags are another factor in the decline. You cannot go anywhere anymore without running into other people. I don't care how far in you backpack or horsepack in. Technology like Google earth and HuntX have taken away any secret spots people had. Now it's just a race in the morning to see if you can beat someone in to a given spot. The state of Colorado started this fiasco when they combined the state parks dept and the dow. at the time, the state parks dept was $30 M in the red. Thus explaining why the state will sell as many tags as they can pedal. The other factor in this mess is the indian reservations in New Mexico where each person can take 5 or more deer and elk per year. They can also hunt National Forest as well as any traditional native lands. This whole country. O and wait, the reservations are where our deer and elk winter. Getting the picture? I have written the state game commission, the governor, senators, and representatives. Attended meetings, you name it. The state is out to make a buck at any cost. Unless people come together, and are willing to give to get, this how it will be. By the way, I have lived in Colorado since 1980 and hunted many parts of the state. Old, yep, killed a few elk along the way and spend many days outside of hunting season in the woods. I know what solution I would implement but then this forum would light up like a Christmas tree, cuz nobody wants to give up a piece of their pie. Have a blessed day.