HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fix or Trash?
Thread: Fix or Trash?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 01:26 PM
davescountry
Spike

Default Fix or Trash?

Hello all - could use some experienced advice.

Like Many, I have been eyeballing inlines for a while. Last fall, I came a cross what I thought was a good deal on a used CVA. I believe it is an Eclipse Magnum, manufactured in 2002. I ended up picking this up for about $80 with scope, some rounds so on. So, thought it to be an OK deal.

I get home and find that the trigger mechanism is broke, and the breech plug probably hadn't ever been cleaned and was stuck beyond believe. My theory is the previous owner was trying to get the plug out, and in the process of applying torque, broke the trigger assembly where it screws on. I got the plug out, and this thing is or was ridiculously dirty. So much that I can't quite tell in some spots if it is pitted or dirty. I hadn't intended on hunting with it in the fall, so stuck it in the gun safe and went on down the road.

So, now I have it out. I see where I can pick up a new trigger for about $30 and a breech plug for about $15. But, before I start throwing good money after bad, I have to wonder if there is anything else I need to consider, and if maybe there is something I am not considering that would make this a big piece of trash. The bolt and other parts looks OK, just dirty.

Any advice here? I am pretty much new - so anything on what to look for, how to clean, - you name it, I am all ears. If there is something I should be looking at and need to take pics to post here - let me know and I will try and get right on it.

Thanks in advance for the advice.