HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spotting Scope - Need Help
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM
elkman30
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if you've bought your scope or not since you didn't post again in this topic. FWIW, I originally bought a Bushnell spotting scope and promptly took it back the next day and then bought a Leupold. Much better scope. I've since bought a Nikon with a little higher magnification but the glass quality isn't the same as the Leupold. All 3 scopes were from the 90's and obviously scope quality has improved. If I were looking at a new scope, I would do what CalHunter suggested. Go look at the scopes you're interested in at a store that sells them, preferably mid day and at evening or dusk. That way you get a solid idea of how each scope will perform in different times of the day.

I would also recommend that you should broaden your horizons just a bit when looking at scopes. Just so you know what's possible in a scope, look at one of the big 3--Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica. You might not be able to afford one of those 3 like many of us but it helps to know what's possible and then how much you think is a reasonable compromise. After that, look at a couple mid grades like Vortex and Meopta, etc. Then see if a straight or angles scope will work best for what YOU are going to need and use it for. After all of this research, you should have a solid idea of what quality point you need and what price point you're willing to pay now or possibly wait a bit to save up for (you only need to pay for expensive glass once). If you do all of this, you should end up with a scope that suits your needs well and will last for a lifetime.