HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .44 Mag for hog?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

I spent a few hours at a local indoor handgun range last weekend, I was there basically to practice with my concealed carry pistol,
but I brought several handguns , 25 yard 4"-6" groups shot fairly rapid fire with all of them was possible even the 10" 44 mag,
thats certainly adequate, but there was a difference, if I took my time aiming the big revolver, it was far and away the more accurate hand gun.
I had to wonder how several of the participants, at the range would fair in a life or death confrontation ,
or if they were to go hunting with the handguns they were practicing with.
you can certainly kill hogs and deer with a 45 acp or 10 mm or 357 mag revolver.
now admittedly, you seldom hunt with the same pistol or revolver you might carry for conceal carry use,
but there were a good many guys that seemed incapable of punching a hole anywhere in a full body silhouette , at 5-7 yards.
hunting would require a significantly longer range but would not generally require ease of concealment.
do any of you gentlemen hunt with your concealed carry pistol?
Ive used most of my handguns on hunts just to see how they worked on larger game like hogs and deer.
now given a choice I don,t think most of us would hunt with a concealed carry pistol/revolver the expected ranges and performance required obviously are vastly different.
but, I think most would agree , if your carrying concealed your life might depend on both hitting the target, fluid & flawless access, rapid and dependable operation,
and the projectile impact having a pronounced and rapid effect on your potential antagonist.
I,ve used a 686 S&W, (357 mag)
a 1006 S&W (10 mm)
a glock 20 ,(10 mm)
and a EAA whitness (45 acp)
yes Id have no problem carrying any of those for personal defense use.
in fact Ive carried all of those over the years.( and hunted with all of them)
and yes a longer barrel length, 44 mag has proven the superior choice for hunting.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-08-2019 at 08:02 AM.