HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maryland 2019 Winter Turkey Season
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM
MarylandGobblers
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Nice job. A winter season world be a fun season to hunt.

In my area the turkeys really bunch up in the winter and pound the available food stamps. Areas that hold turkey the rest of the year will be empty. But if you can find where they are eating in the winter you can often see 100+ birds there.

-Jake
I recall my first time hunting the winter season, which was in 2015 during its inaugural season in Maryland. I set up near a food source, which was an area with many fruits from mature female holly trees. In mid-morning, I heard a racket of noise. I mean, it was a world of noise coming through the woods and I did not know at the time what it was because I had never heard anything like it before. It sounded like a large truck rolling through the woods, but with no motor power. It turned out to be a HUGE flock of gobblers and jakes. There must have been at least 50 male turkeys in the flock. They made noise by breaking twigs, scratching leaves, and flapping their wings, but with many turkeys doing this at the same time, the noise was not recognizable until I saw the flock. I did not get a shot because one picked me out and turned around and headed the opposite direction and then they all followed. But, MAN was that exciting!

Last edited by MarylandGobblers; 01-22-2019 at 12:38 PM.