HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maryland 2019 Winter Turkey Season
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 PM
MarylandGobblers
Spike

Default Maryland 2019 Winter Turkey Season

I bagged this jake on Saturday, January 19, which was the last day of Maryland's three-day 2019 winter turkey season. Hey, I'll take it. It weighed 13.2 pounds and had a two-inch beard. I had set up a ground blind near some turkey tracks in the snow near the intersection of two logging roads on private land. I got to the blind about 6:30 a.m., which was nearly an hour before sunrise and a half-hour before legal shooting hours. I did hear what sounded like two gobbles from a jake around daybreak, but I did not see anything until about 10:40 a.m. I had been cold calling every couple hours with soft yelps. Then, at about 10:40 a.m., I looked out of my side blind window and saw a turkey about 150 yards away. It started to walk in a direction that would have led it far away from my blind. I then made three soft yelps with my mouth diaphragm. The bird, with another bird in tow, then changed direction and moved in the direction of my blind. Within a minute or so, it was about 35 yards in front of my blind. It passed by a tree trunk, allowing me to put the barrel of my shotgun outside the blind window undetected. At 30 yards, I put the sights on its neck and squeezed the trigger. My Mossberg 935 sent a load of 3.5" Winchester Long Beard #6's to the bird's head and neck, thus ending the hunt. I then walked over and placed a tag on the jake.

The third pic in this post is what I found in the bird when cleaning it: Acorns (germinated), corn, and what looks like fruit of an American holly.
Attached Images    

Last edited by MarylandGobblers; 01-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.