HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Nitride
Thread: Knight Nitride
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:10 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Additional information...

A forum member asked...
Are they still adding the DynaTec BoreCoat to those? One like that in 45FT might be in my future.
I asked that same exact question... With the Nitride finish they do not bore coat them. The Nitride is far harder than the bore coat making the bore coating not necessary. I still have a bunch of reading to do on the specific process that Knight is using. But one of the steps has something to do with a lubrication process.I have been trying to research the process on line - but in all honesty I am not smart enough to understand all of it - but still doing the research....This is a small sample of what I have found.

Ferritic nitrocarburizing or, less commonly known as Ferritic nitrocarburising, in British English, is a range of case hardening processes that diffuse nitrogen and carbon into ferrous metals at sub-critical temperatures. The processing temperature ranges
from 525 °C (977 °F) to 625 °C (1,157 °F), but usually occurs at 565 °C (1,049 °F).

Parker Ferritic nitrocarburizing
ISONITEŽ Salt Bath NitdridingISONITEŽ (per SAE AMS 2755) is a high-performance variety of salt bath nitriding process. It is also known as TufftrideŽ and Liquid/Salt Bath Ferritic Nitrocarburizing (FNC) process. It is a thermochemical diffusion process whereby nitrogen-bearing salts generate a controlled release of nitrogen at the interface of a ferrous part.

BENEFITS
  • Low Material Distortion Following Treatment
  • Greater Resistance To abrasion And seizure
  • Fatigue Endurance is Extended
  • Pitting Resistance is Increased 50% to 100%
    Heat Resistance
  • Corrosion Resistance
  • Material Tensile Strength and Stiffness Are Enhanced
  • Improved Durability
And again I am still researching...I can tell you my Rain test worked out great! After a few hours on the deck in the rain I brought rifle in let it dry then wiped it off with a dry rag - It still looks new!!!

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.