HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Nitride
Thread: Knight Nitride
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default Knight Nitride

Had to have one of these Nitride U-Lite's. Several years ago Dave Fricke talked to me about the Nitride finish on metal. His discussion intrigued me about it's wear and durability. At one time he did send some Lehigh bolts and Breech Plugs for a Nitride finish. I have had these two products for several years now. Neither of them show any wear and really clean up easily. I really expected the bolt to show wear and tear lines and rubs aver the years as many times as I have cycled that bolt. Nothing!!!I was really surprised when Knight said they were offering these rifles with the Nitride finish over the Stainless Steel GM barreled actions. The Nitride is applied on the outside and the inside of the rifle. The bore is treated as well. What I have been able to find out and I am still trying to get information, the Nitride process for the Knight rifle involves 3 steps/processes to get the completed package. I trying to get additional information on the 3 steps of application. I am really hoping that it wears and protects as well as advertised.I got the rifle yesterday and got it all set up with a Redfield Revenge scope and Bare primer ignition, switched it from FPJ to NFPJ. I was planning on shooting this morning but scheduling problems are in the way will try for tomorrow.But.... it is raining here really well right now (hard to believe Jan 9th and it raining - but it saves me from shoveling). With the rain it would be a good time to complete the first test. Took the rifle outside on the deck and I am letting the rain have its way with the rifle. No oils or protection have been applied to the rifle. After a few hours I will bring it in and let it dry naturally and see what the effect might be. I would normally trust it more having some protection applied but I have a good feeling about this Nitride finish.