HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a whitetail state.....
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Default Looking for a whitetail state.....

Ok y'all, I'm looking for a 'new' whitetail state..... The goal here is to find a public land access spot that I can make a yearly or every couple of years tradition moving forward. Here's the criteria.

Looking for gun seasons. Slug or rifle is ok either way.

Even muzzleloader would work. Ohio and Pennsylvania are out (they both have late muzzleloader seasons) because I already hunt those regularly.

1) Public Land: I want public land access, the bigger the better. The goal here is to find a spot big enough to hunt year after year and learn it as I go.

2) OTC tags: I would prefer OTC tags, so that I can get the license easily. Buck and doe. Multiple doe tags would be awesome. There may even be some southern States with multiple buck tags. Also, depending on how buying tags works this could be a last minute decision some years depending on how my other seasons go. I.e. if I have freezer room after the seasons I already hunt, I may decide Christmas week to take five days during January and go hunt.

3) Late season dates: late season dates are preferred. After Christmas, or even January dates. I've got allot going on all of November and December most years. But January my schedule suddenly opens up. Season dates between Christmas and New year's would be excellent as I could take the kids along when they're old enough without them missing any school.

4) Deer #s..... Looking for a state or an area with generally high deer numbers. I don't care one bit about bucks or size of bucks. But if I could find a state that meets these requirements that I could regularly bust a doe or two in a week of hunting, I'd be happy.

Essentially the goal here is to find a state with gun seasons open after Christmas, lots of deer, easy to get tags, and lots of public land.

I may be dreaming, but figured it was worth a shot. Any states that could possibly meet those requirements that I could start researching?

-Jake