HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My 2018 Mule Deer Hunt
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2018 Mule Deer Hunt

My son Jacob and I draw the same deer tag every year. The Hunt is short and he never can hunt more than just one weekend. What I normally do is hunt for a buck until the day before he gets there. The day before he gets there I just try to fill my tag with what ever I see. That way we can focus on finding him a buck. He only has 2 or 3 days to hunt. If I shoot a deer on one of his days he looses a day helping me pack out a deer.

The weather this year was very nice. I hiked into some ridges that are above the river. I saw a ton of deer.

This year he got there on Thursday and I had been holding out for a buck I found but never got a shot at. I took a doe so I could help him to try to get the buck.

This year was a good year for seeing bucks. It was not a good year for Jacob's shooting. His first shot was 125 yards steep down hill. He shot right over the bucks back.

The next one was 50 yards in heavy brush. I saw his bullet strike a twig and the buck was lucky.
We spent a couple days riding our bikes to walk in areas and having the time of our lives.

On the last day Jacob decided to take the first deer he had a shot at. We found a single do and Jacob got a shot at her.

I really wished he would have got a buck but I enjoyed my week of hunting. It was great to see a lot of deer and elk. We even saw a pretty good bear. Over all the hunt was fun and we enjoyed it like every year.