HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whitetail Craziness
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Berserker
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
The single minded emphasis on antlers will be the death of hunting in the future. Most non-hunters have no problem with hunting for meat but they do have an issue with hunting strictly for trophies.e.
Yes takling to women in the family, they are can't eat the horns, when i say I passed over small buck. Not that I am trophy hunting, but I do pass over the real small ones. So on the opposite end of that, as women trickle into it, you could have less mature bucks.

In my area of the country there are still lots of people who take small bucks, to fill the freezer. I am not agains that I had meat this year, and been lucky for awhile. But I had a long dry spell, and have had times I didn't care about size
Originally Posted by tatonka
IThese days we have more posted signs than hunters, people are buying a.... ......Food plots and trail cams up the ying yang, mineral supplements being put out, hunters buying every gadget under the sun, etc.

Unless you live in Vermont or Maine, no one gives a hoot about body weight. I read a story recently about a guy whose family bought a 3,000 acre farm and then hired a manager to run it and watch over it as they lived in a big city somewhere or another.

ts!!!!
Little whiney.

You want to hear about body weight in UP, go Y101 wesbisite, 11/15-11/30, 7eastern to around 9, and they will read off all the weights from the bars and places that check deer in. Not legally required to check deer in either.

I enjoy managing my land, playing on the tractor and running a saw. If I was rich and had 3000 acres, I would probably pay someone to help. Without guilt. Hard enough keeping down trees off my trails, in my little area.

I really enjoy trail cameras. Almost more than hunting. It sort is like it. You wait, scrolling through bunch of bird pics. and all sudden a buck pops up. If I couldn't afford cameras, I would till hunt, but I have some disposible income. Some years I get busy and don't get around to it.

Where I am from deer hunting is a big deal. Opening day is a holiday. I believe some schools still close down, like they did up until the 90s. One place I worked at they voted to use the floating holiday for opening day, this was in 2000s, and probably still do.

What does get me is men who don't hunt, or miss opening day, and are just casual about it , I am to busy this year. But I am all for guys going gonzo on it. We need hunters. As numbers fall so does our voice with the DNR. Not a problem in this part of the country now, but if numbers got to low. Kids are not getting into like they used to. My era kids did it cause it was manly.

As for posting land, mine is not posted, not many people around. But I get it, lands expensive. I don't like people either.