HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping
Old 12-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I don't have much tolerance for guys using pseudo science and half truths to mislead others. Stainless steel has a slightly higher thermal expansion coefficient than chromoly, which anyone can google and can regurgitate on command. But in the context of a firearm design, most guys (cough, cough) can't explain why that leads to stringing of groups as the rifle warms up. So what I was HOPING (cough cough) you might elaborate is WHY the thermal expansion coefficient matters, and WHY some rifles are more sensitive than others, and most importantly, point out how easy it is to prove out whether the OP's rifle is afflicted or not.

It's not the expansion coefficient of the steel which is the problem, it's the poor quality of barrel which has asymmetrical grain dislocations and internal stress which cause the barrel to warp as it warms, or poor machining quality which leaves greater interference in the threads or shoulder on one side than on the other, so as the steel heats and expands, it presses harder on one side vs. the other. I was HOPING you might bring some real science to back up your statements to the OP.

ALL of that is so easily tested for your rifle, the whimsy and mystique guys pour onto it is just silly. Shoot some groups, shoot some fast, shoot some slow. If it walks or strings, it will be very apparent, and it'll happen every time. Rifles with stress relieved barrels and proper machining don't walk. Guys can string shots as fast as they like.