HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rinse meat before grinding
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I can't believe anyone still buys into that soaking your meat in milk crap! Just exactly what is that supposed to do except provide a better platform for bacteria to multiply. It is sad that this kind of stuff is still being spread around to and inexperienced hunters will try it because they know no better. There is no good reason for anybody to soak their venison in anything before they freeze it, none. That nonsense all stemmed from people not taking care of their deer after it was killed to the time it was butchered to disguise the taste of poorly handled meat. There is no such thing as a wild taste, there is no such thing as a "gamey" taste, just the taste of half spoiled meat from mishandling or the taste of the animal you have killed the way it is supposed to taste. Sorry jrbsr I do not buy it, I have been killing deer and eating them for far too long for that and I know what well taken care of meat tastes like and I have heard these tips since I started hunting in the late 50s. These kinds of things are passed on in families and all they know is that they were told this is the way you are supposed to do it. , so they buy in and do it. I would love to make you a steak or any cut from one of my deer that the only extra ordinary thing that has been done is the deer was hung in a cooler for 6 to 7 days before being cut up. I would bet you would never soak your venison in milk again or anything else again. I am not ragging on you, please believe that, just these old wives tales that stemmed from poor handling of game after the harvest just set me off. I love cooking the game, and I am good at it, and these so called fixes for wild game meat just drive me over the edge.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-29-2018 at 12:52 PM.