HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Favorite Big Game Rifle and Why?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Maybe it’s really just not that hard to kill deer... The target - the heart - is bigger than a fist. That’s not asking much from a scoped rifle anymore, even at fairly long ranges.

We wring our hands over rounds and rifles, when in reality, it just doesn’t take that much scrutiny to kill game. Most of us are lucky to get a few shots each year on a few big game animals, so the investment in that rifle really should be considering how ELSE it can be used to get a return on entertainment value. Then almost anything can be effectively purposed for hunting. Not unlike the last few years, I decided this morning, opening day, which I would use from of a dozen options I have been shooting regularly this year, among 4-5 times as many I haven’t. Any of them can come off of the rack and deliver in the hunting fields, and a scarce few are alike; handguns, carbines, single shots, bolts, semisutos, big fat bullets, little skinny ones... any of them will kill effectively.

We really gotta stop pretending there is some magic about delivering killing shots on game.