HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brush Gun Bullistics
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 PM
MntMan69
Spike

Default Brush Gun Bullistics

This question will probably get a lot get a lot of heated answers, so here it goes...

I still hunt and stalk deer in the norther hardwoods of Minnesota. When I say still hunt, I mean I walk very slowly and stand all day in the thick brush. This allows me to sneak up on the deer and most of my shots are within 20 yards. A really long shot for me is a 100 yards, which I don't get very often. I used to use a Winchester model 94 30-30. I loved that gun and took many deer with it. For about the past 15 years I have been using a 7mm-08 Rem Ruger Hawkeye compact rifle with a 2x7 nikon scope. I have found this to be the ultimate brush gun setup, for me and the style of hunting I do.

Half the time the deer drops instantly. 30% of the time they run 20-40 yards before dropping and about 20% of the time they run forever if I don't get a good shot. The problem is when they run, I don't get a blood trail anymore. I used to, but with the newer ammo these days, there is almost no blood trails. Last week I shot a deer and got a perfect shot, through and through and split the liver in half. The deer ran right towards me and I got a perfect chest shot and the deer ran about 15 yards before drooping. There was no blood for trail and I just assumed that I missed the deer on the first shot because I couldn't find any holes in the chest or stomach area. When I butchered the deer I found the entry and exit wounds.

My question is, why am I not getting blood trails any more. My brother and a friend also use a 7mm-08 rem and all 3 of us have noticed the same lack of blood trails the past few years. Why is that or are we just imagining this?