HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado 511, 51, 59, 581, 501, 50, 58 HWY24 Access
Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 PM
SilverbulletM70
Spike

Originally Posted by MichaelCV4
Hey Silverbullet, just checking to see if you had any luck? A buddy and I grabbed some leftover Elk tags for 4th Rifle for units 59 / 581. He got a bull and I grabbed a cow tag. We scouted Dome Rock SWA for a day during first rifle and saw some elk sign and even a leg that must have fallen out of someone's pack since there was no spoil pile around. We have never hunted this area before and would love any tips. It seems they are up on the backside of Pike's Peak in the summer and come down to Mueller state park and the Florissant Fossil beds during the winter. We are just hoping they'll be in the Dome Rock state wildlife area from November 14th to 18th!

Anyone have any luck up there recently?
I hunted 581 and saw a TON of sign but the herd had just recently moved on to some undisclosed location. Saw a lot of mulies but not a single elk the entire 5 day hunt (Sat - Wed) hitting it hard getting in place before first light and not heading back to base camp until after dark. Pretty frustrating but that area looked promising for archery or first rifle season.