HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Taxidermy Wall Background
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 AM
TheWife
Spike

Default Taxidermy Wall Background

I have posted on a paint forum with no response probably because they are all PETA people. So, I thought I would ask hunters... I am painting part of a wall in our garage for a background for animal mounts. The full wall is about 40' long, and 12' high. The top of the wall has plywood boards mounted along the full length of wall. So these are standard plywood width (~4'?) from the ceiling down. They are also mounted maybe 4" out from the garage's concrete wall. These boards have been primed and painted over with neutral light tan base (sherwin William's sandbar) which I have also painted the rest of the garage walls. I feel like the mounting boards need a more interesting finish background for the animal mounts. I had first envisioned a camo background, but couldn't get it to look right in any of my samples. I have now very lightly sponge painted gray glaze (sherwin William's illusive green), then went back with a darker tan (sherwin William's moth wing) glaze and plastic sheets to do faux leather finish. I think my sample looks pretty good, though I could also rag on some darker brown or gray glaze at the end to highlight leather crackles more and maybe offset even more from the rest of the wall. I don't want the room to be too dark but do want some contrast.
We have a full cougar on rock ledge, a couple big moose, a euro mount moose, deer, sheep, bear rug (new, not sure how to hang), and more. We use the garage a lot as kid play space, and use it as our main entry so I would like it to look nicer and less utilitarian. I kind of enjoy painting and consider this an art project.

ALL that to ask if you think a faux leather painted wall is a good background for animal mounts?