HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado 511, 51, 59, 581, 501, 50, 58 HWY24 Access
Old 11-01-2018, 06:10 AM
MichaelCV4
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
Resurrecting this thread as we get closer to the best time of year again. For convenience, I'm considering going with an OTC 2nd rifle season and hunting the 581/511 area, which will be a first for me. I want to bring my 8 year old daughter with me this year, also a first, so the several mile hikes up the side of a mountain and tenting it for the week will also be out. I have done a ton of camping out in 581 and would love to take the RV out there and use it as an easy base camp. From there we'd get as far off the beaten path and away from civilization as possible. I know I'll be limiting my opportunities at better bulls elsewhere and/or may not even fill a tag but, if nothing else it will be a new place to hunt and good times with the little one who loves the outdoors as much as I do.

Anyone familiar with the are, does that sound like a decent plan or are there better locations I should look at that would fit the bill? I'll start scouting 581 next week out of curiosity regardless...
Hey Silverbullet, just checking to see if you had any luck? A buddy and I grabbed some leftover Elk tags for 4th Rifle for units 59 / 581. He got a bull and I grabbed a cow tag. We scouted Dome Rock SWA for a day during first rifle and saw some elk sign and even a leg that must have fallen out of someone's pack since there was no spoil pile around. We have never hunted this area before and would love any tips. It seems they are up on the backside of Pike's Peak in the summer and come down to Mueller state park and the Florissant Fossil beds during the winter. We are just hoping they'll be in the Dome Rock state wildlife area from November 14th to 18th!

Anyone have any luck up there recently?