HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pa early muzzleloader
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

A farm near Cherry Tree,pa. The farmer wanted some deer taken off it.

Weather was good. Nice temp, sunny. But windy. It was heading in the right direction though.

We have cva wolf muzzleloaders. With 3-9 scopes. And I'm using the 295 grain power belt hollow points. I know allot of guys don't like them, but I picked up about 120 of them for really cheap. So I'm going to use them up. We're pretty new to muzzleloaders.

I'd never hunted this farm before, or even been there, so we went in blind. She's new, so I still stay close to her for the most part. So we walked in and I found a good spot to sit. I set her up in the best spot for a shot then I sat on the opposite side of the tree and watched the thicker section of the woods.... Where I figured the deer would be coming from .

About an hour into our sit I saw a little button buck coming up through the woods. I told her to get ready for a shot down the field edge and she positioned herself for it. The deer took it's sweet time getting there and I could tell she was getting tired. So I told her to relax and keep breathing. By this point I could no longer see the deer.

Finally she shot and said "I missed, it's still standing there you shoot it." So I layed back around the tree, got the gun turned around and took the shot. Really weird position, I couldn't even see the whole scope but has a good sight picture of the cross hairs and was essentially resting in a prone position so I took the shot, dropped the deer in it's tracks at 71 yards.

While I took care of my deer I told her to stay in that spot and keep watching. About the same time I got back to the truck dragging mine, I heard her shoot again. A few minutes later she called and said it was down. Hers was 111 yards, dropped in it's tracks. Both shots complete pass throughs. Although neither hit any heavy bone.

Got them back to the cabin and skinned out, then deboned everything this morning and into coolers for the drive home.

All said and done we left Ohio at 1100, and had two deer skinned and hanging ten minutes before dark. The drag out was a tough one. Up hill the whole way, and Google maps said it was over 700 yards out. And doing it twice was no fun. But glad we got them.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 10-17-2018 at 05:08 PM.